Soil Testing is performed by Master Gardeners at special events throughout the state. Master Gardeners will check the pH of your soil and recommend remedial action, if necessary, please consult our calendar for upcoming events.
If a more comprehensive soil test is necessary, please download the following forms from the University of Massachusetts, and follow the directions within.
HOW TO COLLECT A SOIL SAMPLE
- Small trowel
- A small open container to place your soil samples in
- Pen or marker
SELECT THE AREA YOU WANT TO SAMPLE
- Collect 4 to 6 samples from different locations in the area you are sampling.
- Go down 3 to 6 inches to the root depth to dig your sample.
- Place the samples in an open tray mix together well and allow to air dry overnight.
FILL A SMALL PAPER BAG WITH 1/2 CUP OF YOUR SOIL SAMPLE AND LABEL IT.
- Remember to label where your soil sample was taken from.
BRING YOUR SAMPLE TO A MASTER GARDENER TO HAVE IT TESTED.
You will need a separate sample for each different area that you want to test. Repeat the above steps for each sample.